Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Mtaching Rear Speakers :)

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a better suggestion.
    A pair of Santana 879A or 879B.
    Wonderfull speakers in my opinion. They have that great Altec sound.

    Here is a pic. Compared to my Duplexes. Small footprint, would need to be on stands.
    I bought this pair locally for $250, and they are mint!
    15" Biflex woofer.

    4

    Ron

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RonSS:
    I have a better suggestion.
    A pair of Santana 879A or 879B.
    Wonderfull speakers in my opinion. They have that great Altec sound.

    Here is a pic. Compared to my Duplexes. Small footprint, would need to be on stands.
    I bought this pair locally for $250, and they are mint!
    15" Biflex woofer.

    4

    In fact....one of these just might make a good center channel as well. The woofer runs full range, and it's quite good in the mids.

    Ron
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    890Cs are IMO the best small speakers there are and they certainly have the tonal qualities of the big Altecs thanks to the 406 woofer they use.

    They'd probably work very well as surrounds, **** , one of these days I should drag mine upstairs and try them as surrounds with the old Model Nineteens. I'm using KRK ST-6s as surrounds now and they do a good job.

    I use the 890Cs now to listen to music once in awhile but mostly to play my digital drumkit and piano through.
    9

  4. #4
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hopefully if you are reading this you have read of my center channel search to match my Altec VOTT A7's. I actually already have rear speakers for my theater that I like.... however I thought it might be cool to get some altec rears if I could get the right price.... how do you think these would work?

    ALTEC LANSING BOLERO 890C BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS

    And there is no way I am using A7's or anything near that size for my rears! forums

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Tom,

    What HF driver do these use?
    They come around on epay from time to time, maybe I ought to pay more attention, Never heard them.

    Glad you post here, horn guy!

    Ron

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ron---The tweeter is the "mystery horn" and appears to be a Heppner. It comes in at 2000hz and is clear and well balanced.

    The key is the 406 woofer though. Altec engineering spent great effort getting the driver right so as to maintian the tonal qualities and big sound of the large Altecs. The driver has a cast frame, 3" voice coil and the motor of the 414. It has an odd dual profile cone, straight sides near the center and than a transition to concave towards the edge.
    6

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

  8. #8
    Inactive Member ClassicComics's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2008
    Posts
    135
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Steve Mac - are you asking me - or asking in general?

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Tom Brennan:

    The key is the 406 woofer though.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed, they literally don't make them like they used to in its case. Such a nice looking pair too! You buy them new?

    GM

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by ClassicComics:
    Steve Mac - are you asking me - or asking in general?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">CC...I meant to ask you...didn't know how big or small they needed to be for your installation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.